are you sure its removed from the war & your expanded web-inf/lib directory?

I removed it, and that produced the following error :

Nov 9, 2007 10:22:38 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
modified
SEVERE:     Resource '/WEB-INF/lib/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec-1.1-M1.jar' is
missing

And then a bit later in the log, I still have the '...geronimo-servlet... -
jar not loaded' message

If this problem is related, wouldn't that have caused a problem from the
simple client as well?  But that one worked.