It should work with the latest snapshot. Make sure you set your request content
type to "application/json". I have an example of this located under:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/cxf/trunk/systests/src/test/java/org/apache/cxf/systest/jaxrs/JAXRSClientServerBookTest.java

What do you mean by outside CXF?

Cheers,
Jervis