* subscribe at http://techPolice.com

 LIFE IN CYBERSPACE Be Warned: Your Software Is Watching

John M; Moran; John Moran covers technology for the Hartford Courant
Copyright 2001 Newsday, Inc.  Newsday (New York, NY) July 4, 2001 Wednesday ALL
EDITIONS

Is your software  harboring a secret spy? Could be, especially if you've been
downloading a lot of freeware or shareware programs. In the growing scramble for
revenue, many Internet companies are resorting to what's known as "spyware."

Spyware programs-often bundled with other software-are designed to collect statistical
and online-usage data, often without the knowledge of the computer user. The data is
then reported back to the software maker, generally for advertising purposes.

I had heard about spyware programs, but was still shocked to find one running on my
home PC.

The program, called "WebHancer Customer Companion," arrived stealthily, along with a
piece of software I had downloaded to play MIDI, a kind of digital music file.

On reinspection, the Web site where I downloaded the MIDI player did mention that
WebHancer was bundled inside. That mention was tucked at the bottom of a Web page that
appeared only as the software was poised for download. So blame me, at least to some
extent, for not reading the fine print, though that hardly qualifies as formal
notification.

In any case, I quickly installed the MIDI player, blissfully unaware that WebHancer
was taking root, virus-like, in my PC at the same time.

Fortunately, I'm using a program called ZoneAlarm, free personal firewall software
from ZoneLabs (www.zonelabs.com). Generally, this software protects against hackers
getting into your computer from the Internet. But it also lets you know what software
on your computer is trying to connect out to the Internet.

Sure enough, within minutes of having installed the MIDI program, ZoneAlarm is asking
me whether I want to grant WebHancer permission to connect to the Internet.

"Let what do what?" I asked. In another minute, I found the culprit.

Although the uninstall process was relatively quick and painless, the experience was
unsettling, to say the least.

Actually, as spyware goes, WebHancer is relatively benign. The company has a privacy
policy that promises, in part, that it will gather no personally identifiable
information. The data gathered from consumers, it says, is used only to measure
Internet performance for the benefit of e-commerce sites.

But as anyone can see, the Trojan Horse-style technique of bundling one program with
another is open to wide-ranging abuse. And indeed, a favorite trick of hackers who
want to grab control of someone else's computer is to plant a program there that will
respond to external commands.

The hacking scenario is relatively rare, but the use of spyware-also known as
"adware"-by commercial advertisers is all too common and growing.

People should be free to participate in any advertising scheme they like. But they
should consciously choose to do so after having been fully and clearly informed about
what data is being collected and how it will be used.

Most spyware ignores those principles. Sneaky installation procedures, silent data
uploads and fine- print disclosures just don't cut it.

For more on spyware, check out these Web sites: OptOut at http://grc.com/optout.htm,
Counterexploitation at http://cexx.org, The Spyware Infested Software List at
www.infoforce.qc.ca/spyware and Spychecker at www.spychecker.com

Half.com is the Smartest Place to Buy & Sell your CDs, DVDs
Books, & Games! Get killer deals on over 10 million items
priced up to 50-90% off.  Plus get $5 off your 1st purchase.
http://click.topica.com/caaacuMb1dhr0b2EDp2f/half