* subscribe at http://techPolice.com

Teacher is accused of Web sex scheme
By Megan Tench, Globe Staff, 8/18/2001

EW BEDFORD - A Fairhaven High School science and math teacher was charged yesterday
with directing teenage girls to a Web site where he was masturbating live, on-line.

Using a Web cam, police officers were able to capture a still shot that positively
identified Douglas Chase as he ''engaged in a live sexual act'' for a 15-year-old girl
in California, prosecutors said.

The Massachusetts attorney general's office, which has been promoting parental
awareness of online dangers, said the quick reaction of the girl's mother, who
immediately alerted police, should be an example to others.

Chase, 46, a lifelong resident of North Dartmouth who has been a schoolteacher for one
year, pleaded not guilty in New Bedford District Court as his parents sat stonefaced
in the back of the courtroom.

''Essentially the defendant lived a double life,'' said Assistant Attorney General
Ursula Knight, a prosecutor with the high-technology computer and crimes division of
the AG's office.

According to Knight, on two occasions, June 22 and June 27, Chase attempted to contact
the 15-year-old through a computer she and her mother shared in Twentynine Palms,
Calif.

On June 22, while the teenager's mother was online, an instant message appeared on the
screen which read, ''Are you alone yet?''

Concerned, the mother assumed her daughter's identity and responded to the message,
notifying the sender that she was only 15, Knight said.

It was then, Knight said, that Chase, who allegedly had made contact with the teenager
before, directed her mother to a password-secured Web site where the mother saw him
''naked and masturbating online,'' said Knight.

Shocked, the mother immediately called the San Bernadino County sheriff's office.

''Deputy [Jason] Calvert assumed the identity of the 15-year-old,'' said Knight. He
witnessed Chase masturbating. While visiting a chat room, Chase - who allegedly
directed his audience to call him ''Mr. Chase'' - said he was a 22-year-old teacher
from Massachusetts.

''He also requested that next time the 15-year-old bring friends to view,'' said
Knight.

Calvert again posed as the teenager on June 27, and he pretended to have a 14-year-old
friend along.

When arrested yesterday, Knight said Chase admitted to having contacted the teenager.

Computers and other equipment were seized from both his home and his office at
Fairhaven High School.

''We did not have any indication that this was going on,'' said Patricia Ansay,
Fairhaven superintendent of schools.

Describing Chase as a ''nice enough person,'' Ansay said the rookie educator passed
the required criminal background check and carried out all of his professional duties.

''I am now consulting with our school attorney to find out what course of action we
will take,'' she said. ''Whether it is suspension or termination, that will be
determined.''

Chase, who worked in the health care field in Dartmouth and Boston, is recently
divorced and has a daughter who is a senior at Smith College, Knight said. His
daughter was at his North Dartmouth home at the time of his arrest, Knight said.

Chase was ordered held on $5,000 bail and must stay away from Fairhaven High School
and unsupervised minors upon his release. He is charged with three counts of
attempting to disseminate harmful material to a minor and one count of open and gross
lewdness.

''The defense pleaded not guilty,'' said Michael Zeman, Chase's lawyer. ''I am not
going to comment on my client's feelings or what he said to me,'' he said after the
arraignment.

''He's certainly embarrassed about the charges and will face them accordingly,'' Zeman
said.

This story ran on page 1 of the Boston Globe on 8/18/2001.
© Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/230/metro/Teacher_is_accused_of_Web_sex_scheme+.shtml

Apply now for a special offer from Topica.com and Discover®
Platinum Card Get started with $10 on us!* 0% Introductory
APR* - No Annual Fee - Up to 2% Cashback® Bonus Award *See
Important Information section of application.
http://click.topica.com/caaacXPb1dhr0b2EDp2f/Discover