* via http://theMezz.com/lists

* subscribe at http://techPolice.com
 http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/173120.html

E-Mail Scam Sought To Defraud PayPal Customers

By Brian Krebs, Newsbytes
WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A.,
19 Dec 2001, 3:57 PM CST

Customers of online payment processor PayPal.com have helped to foil an
e-mail scam disguised as a cheery holiday greeting from the company urging
customers to "update" their account information.
The message, which included a spoofed return address of [EMAIL PROTECTED],
directed PayPal users to visit a Web site to reenter their account
information, including usernames, passwords, credit card numbers and billing
data.

The fraudulent e-mail began with the salutation "Season's Greetings Valued
PayPal Customer."

"As the New Year approaches and as we all get ready to move a year ahead,
PayPal would like to give you a $5 credit to your account!

All you have to do to claim your $5 gift from us is update your information
on our secure Pay Pal site by January 1, 2002. A year brings a lot of
changes, by updating your information with us you will allow for us to
continue providing you and our valued customer service with excellent
service and in the meantime, keep our records straight

--via http://techPolice.com
archive: http://theMezz.com/cybercrime/archive
subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--via http://theMezz.com