* via http://theMezz.com/lists

* subscribe at http://techPolice.com

U.S. Secret Service Electronic Crimes Task Force - We Need You to Join Us!
by Jack Wiles

And we really mean it! There are eight new United States Secret Service (USSS)
Electronic Crimes Task Force branches being formed throughout the country, and if you
live in the USA, one of them is probably close enough for you to get involved. Now
more than ever, we need to work together to help prevent and prosecute the
ever-growing threat of electronic crimes.

I've been doing things with the U.S. Secret Service for many years now, and this is
the most ambitious outreach program that I've seen so far. Over the years, a number of
people have asked me about the perceived danger of having everything that we say to
them turned into the proverbial 'federal case.' I can honestly say that I have never
seen or personally heard of that happening. Not one single person that I know of has
ever had their computer(s) seized or even been inconvenienced as a result of trying to
do some things to help or even asking for help. This is a group that does a lot more
to help prevent, or when necessary convict and hopefully bring to prosecution, these
new crimes that are impacting just about everything that we do.

Top Down Commitment

It all started at the USSS field office in New York through the vision of one man,
Special Agent Bob Weaver. Since he started the Task Force in 1995, it has grown to
include 45 local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, 100 private companies
and 12 universities. The NY ecTaskForce has always met in New York, and attendees at
these meetings have traveled from just about every state in the country to get there.
At the November 2001 meeting, it is reported that over 450 members were in attendance.
Our company had recently joined the task force, and this was the first meeting that we
attended in New York. My partner at TheTrainingCo., Don Withers made the trip the day
before the meeting as did most who attended. It's quite a commitment to do that, and
most of the 450 who attended made the same commitment of time and travel expense to
get there.

He came away feeling that he had played an important role (as did everyone who
attended) in a grassroots level meeting where every attendee was there to learn, share
information and network. There were some very powerful people there from law
enforcement, industry and academia, but at the meeting, they were all on a first name
basis and wanting to help each other.

My partner's experience was a perfect example of this. When you sit down at the
beginning of a meeting with 450 strangers, you wind up sitting next to at least one
new friend and unless you're on the end of an aisle, you will get to know at least two
new friends just by sitting next to them all day long. One of the attendees who was
sitting next to my partner was Special Agent Brian Stafford of the Secret Service. It
wasn't unusual to be sitting next to a Secret Service agent at a meeting being hosted
by them. It was unusual to be sitting next to the director of the entire Secret
Service. That has been Mr. Stafford's job since March 4, 1999.

Having someone from the very top of any organization attend a day-long meeting of any
kind shows us that this is something that senior management has taken very seriously.
The Secret Service is obviously very busy these days with the protection side of their
duties as well as a number of other things on the electronic crimes side of their
shop. Needless to say, we were all impressed to have Mr. Stafford send the message of
how important this task force is to him.

Where Are the Regional Task Forces Located?

Eight cities, including the founding city of New York, have been selected to begin
regional branches of the Electronic Crimes Task Force. As the task force grows, I'm
sure that more cities will be added. Here are the cities where you can find them:

Boston, Massachusetts
Charlotte, North Carolina
Chicago, Illinois
Las Vegas, Nevada
Miami, Florida
New York, New York
San Francisco, California
Washington, DC

Article continues here:

http://www.infosecnews.com/opinion/2002/01/09_03.htm

FORECLOSED HOMES: Try A Free Search. Zero Down Homes!
3-4-5 bedroom homes directly from local banks & homeowners.
250,000 homes from $25,000. For A List Click Here!
http://click.topica.com/caaafiyb1dhr0b2EDp2f/Foreclosureworld

--via http://techPolice.com
archive: http://theMezz.com/cybercrime/archive
subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]