From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<<  The question is who cares whether a rifle can withstand having

> a 4 tonne truck driven over it.  Does it matter? >>

With the many reliability problems this rifle has,  maybe
throwing it under a truck wheel will get the soldier a
different rifle that will shoot when and where it should.
For a combat soldier,  a rifle with 90 % reliability record
is just not acceptable.  If one thinks that 90 % is
acceptable,  look at this situation; You drive to and from
your place of employment each day for 300 days each year.
A 90% record of getting to or from the work place says that
you arrive 270 days and get home 270 days.  That is just
not quite good enough.  I want to arrive and get home 100%
of the time.

Just another way of relating to numbers,

Charlie P.
RKBA!
--
I just think that Ian Hogg was using a rather silly example.

It doesn't really matter if you can drive a truck over an AUG.

There is zero chance of the AUG being adopted because it
has too many non-NATO standard features, no army in NATO uses
it as far as I am aware.

I've just never understood the cult of the AUG, yes it's
a perfectly okay combat rifle but it's not that special
either.  Twenty years ago it was more interesting but
everyone is using plastics in the construction of rifles
now.

You see I am convinced that if the Swiss or someone had
adopted the SA80 it would be a cult rifle now as well,
because everyone would go on about how wonderfully accurate
it is and compact etc.  I am absolutely sure that the
SIG SG550 would have serious problems in a battle situation
because I've owned two and they rust very easily plus they
have flimsy bipods and the gas system gums up easily as
well.  But because they've never been used in a war all
people notice is how accurate they are and how wonderful
the trigger pull is.

I've owned two .223 AUGs as well, and they are much harder
to shoot accurately than a standard AR-15 because of the
heavy trigger pull, and I'm also fairly certain they
are less accurate from a mechanical standpoint as well.

Precision accuracy and a nice trigger pull aren't necessary
in a war, which is why I say it is a perfectly okay combat
rifle, but the Australians and the New Zealanders have
done nothing but moan about it, and with the exception of
a few Saudi soldiers and Irish peacekeepers they are the
only ones to use it in a combat situation (in Somalia and
East Timor) so you have to take the complaints seriously.

I did communicate at length with a WO in the Australian
DF and he told me that they had had problems with the
M4s as well, basically poor quality control by Colt's,
but there are plenty of other people who can make them
like FN or Bushmaster or Diemaco.

The only thing I can say for the AUG is that it's the only
gun I've ever owned that I've been able to clean in a
dishwasher!

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]