From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> My view is that the police should ditch the MP5s and assault rifles
> which scare the crap out of the public (with rare exceptions) and
> learn how to use pistols.

I have to agree with you on this one Steve. Arriving at
Gatwick a few weeks ago and seeing loads of Cops
posing aroung with MP5s gives a somewhat intimidating
impression. I can't really see the point, has there ever
been a terrorist gun fight at a western Airport before?

Jonathan Laws
--
Italian airport police carry Glock 18s!  Yikes!

I can't remember when the airport police started
carrying MP5s but it wasn't always the case as
I remember going to Heathrow and they only had
Hi-Powers.

Given that they are semi-auto only, the only reason
for the MP5s appear to be that they are easier to
shoot accurately than a pistol.  I.e. a technological
solution to a training problem.

You don't see US Marshalls sitting on planes armed
with MP5s because they have trained to the point
with their SIGs that they don't need MP5s.

If we're going to have police officers walking around
airports armed to the teeth it behooves them to be
properly trained.  I was told by a West Midlands AFO
that airport officers are "trainees" who are put at
the airport until they are well-trained enough to
go out in ARVs.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]