From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Wait a minute here.
        Why should the police benefit from any activity
in which they are *required* to participate? I mean, they were
hired to enforce the law, were they not?
        It seems that a very important aspect is being
ignored: When you benefit from an activity, you are more
prone to emphasize interest in that activity, than say, one
you are not benefiting from.
        If the police need more funding, it is the proper
place for them to seek it from the source from which it
emanates: the people. Let them appeal to Parliament.
        But for them to benefit from enforcement activities,
that in itself is asking for a perversion of law.

ET
--
It's nowhere near as bad in the US, though, I have to
say.  There are loads of small towns in places like

I'm wondering if that could be used as a defence
here.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]