From:   "Alex Hamilton", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I was at Bisley on Saturday and I was offered at the Armoury some 174 gr
303 bullets.  The armourer emphasised specially that they were lead
cored  and when I asked why he thought that that was important he told
me that all rifle bullets coming from Europe were mild steel cored.

I remember the discussion on this list last year about the US military
using materials alternative to lead, but I did not take much interest as
I thought that we would  not be affected.  As all ammunition
manufacturers look to military orders, it stands to reason that once the
military specify steel cored bullets, the lead cored variety will become
either prohibitively expensive or it will disappear altogether.

Is this leading to some future restriction on using cast lead bullets?
If so, that will certainly decimate the gallery rifle shooting.

What do the experts think about the a) accuracy at long range of mild
steel cored bullets and b) their effect on barrel life?

Alex
--
Steel bullets do shorten barrel life, although it depends on how
hard the bullet is and how thick the jacket is.  They are also

I wouldn't worry too much about it, there are loads of people
making lead cored .30 calibre bullets.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]