From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>  If the base of the bullet does
> not melt then why does everyone use HPBT bullets for
> the best accuracy?

Because it's easier to make a jacketed boat tail if you
design it so the jacket ends at the top rather than the
bottom, and also the propellant gasses can't try to strip
the jacket from the core. It also means that the base of
the bullet can be thicker if you use a tapered jacket so it
deforms less and shifts the weight forward.

I don't think that propellant gasses actually melt bullets, if
they did I think it would be a problem with military guns
that do use boat tails with exposed cores.

Jonathan Laws.
--
But not with the flatbase bullets that Berger makes, as
Andrew pointed out already.  Those would be easier as

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]