From:   "TwoPints", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I seem to remember - please correct me if my memory is
faulty, that the ban on flick knives was born out of the
"Teddy Boys" and "Mods and Rockers" seaside outings to
Brighton and similar towns where they would get drunk,
have a good old punch-up and go their separate ways.  Was
the flick knife ban a knee-jerk reaction by the then
government in an attempt to be seen to do "something"
to stop this carnage?

It did not of course address the real problem.  The 3 most
common stabbing implements were then, and are now, kitchen
knives, screwdrivers (Phillips or engineers), and scissors.

As an aside, and perhaps to resurrect an older thread, did
Mr Burke ever receive the reasoning from the judge why his
appeal was dismissed?

Two Pints.

"Necessity is the plea of every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -
William Pitt. 18 November, 1783.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]