From:   "Alex Hamilton", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It is also my impression that only some Metropolitan Section 7(3)
holders had been allowed to load and store ammunition at home and if
that "privilege" is being withdrawn then soon no one will enjoy it.

In my opinion, the Home Office and the Police are deliberately twisting
the Law by acting on the assumption that "not readily available" meant
not available to the owner outside designated secure centres, when it is
clear that the 1997 Act intended that to mean not readily available on
the open market!

In your case Steve you are allowed to store and reload 9mm ammunition at
home for your 9mm rifle and, if the above assumption is correct, then
you would be breaking the Law if you loaded or bought 9mm ammunition
INTENDING TO USE IT IN YOUR SECTION 7(3) PISTOL!!!!!

I know that this is not only unenforceable but incredibly stupid,
because, as you rightly pointed out, having pistols stored in one place
and ammunition in another is much safer from the public safety point of
view as the break in into the designated centre will yield no
ammunition.

But you are assuming that the Home Office and the Police  want to keep
guns and ammunition safe from criminals and that is where you might be
wrong, because in their eyes  the 1997 Act declared us the untrustworthy
ones and the only place where we can be trusted to have both pistols and
ammunition is behind the barbed wire and brick walls of the designated
centres where we can only shoot each other - and they wish we would!

However, the deliberate misinterpretation of the Law in this instance is
so obviously wrong that it must be challenged in the courts and
overturned.  The fact that the Met. has fallen in line with the others
only means that they are all wrong!

Any ideas from our legal eagles as to how we demolish this latest
injustice and teach them a lesson?

Alex.
--
There appears to be a lot of confusion about the differences between
Section 7(1) and Section 7(3) of the 1997 Act.  There is precisely

The police have the power to attach conditions to your FAC and
unfortunately you cannot appeal the wording of a condition.  The only
way to appeal is actually on the variation for the gun and the ammunition.

I think the best way to approach this is to write to the
Firearms Consultative Committee at the Home Office, 50 Queen Anne's Gate,
London, SW1H 9AT.

There appears to be an erroneous assumption that handgun ammunition is
in someway more deadly than rifle ammunition, or is in some way distinctive
from it which is totally wrong, of course.  There is no more danger in
possessing handgun ammunition than rifle ammunition, especially as it is
in fact the same thing in many cases.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]