From:   "rastech", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

UKIP has my vote now and for the forseeable.

I  know what Steve is saying regarding individual candidates, but getting
out of the EU is now a critical consideration for the broad swathe of every
aspect of individual liberty in this country.

We tend to focus our attention on Westminster. When all Westminster has
become is a rubber stamp machine for the dictat of Brussels, I would contend
that most of our problems stem from attitudes and policies that originate
there. That is why, I feel,  it no longer makes any difference which of the
main Party's we vote for, when they all basically just go along with what
they are told to do.

Bob
--
I have to say I strongly disagree with the idea of leaving
the EU - anyone who disagrees with me I doubt has tried clearing

I also seriously disagree with the idea that our problems stem
from anything to do with the EU - they are largely homegrown.
(Although I suppose it depends what you define as a problem).

I personally think that this "leave the EU" slogan which UKIP
puts forward and the Conservatives are mildly enthusiastic
about appeals largely to older voters.  This nonsense about
what measurements you can put on packets is a perfect example.

Everyone under 35 was taught metric in school so it doesn't
bother younger people.

The difference with the EU is that you have the European
Court of Justice so you have some recourse to challenge
European laws unlike our domestic laws as "Parliament
is supreme" and all the rest of it.

As regards gun laws, I'm not sure it makes a fat lot of
difference one way or the other except that we can
challenge their legality in the ECJ.  The European Firearms
Directive contained a fair amount of nonsense but on the
other hand if the EU grew into a federal state like the
US and it was mandated as a pre-emptive federal law
we would be much better off than we are now.  I also
find that the EFD actually gives us some leverage
because for example pump-actions and some semi-auto
rifles are classed the same as bolt-actions under
the EFD, so it makes our law look daft (which it is).
Also the EFD has provisions recognising gun collectors
that our domestic law doesn't (or didn't, until 1992),
which is also quite useful.

I was watching a bit of the 1984 Conservative Party
conference the other day and they had the EU flag over
the podium, which just goes to show how much political
opportunism is playing into their current policies.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]