From:   RustyBullethole, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>I'm not aware of any baton gun which is safe to fire at >someone
>at the range involved in this shooting.  A shotgun loaded with
>the bean bag ammo might have done the trick, but it's still a
>lower percentage thing to use than live ammo when someone >is pointing a
gun at you.

>Steve.

If you are at a range that is so close as to make a baton gun lethal then
you are too bloody close in the first place.

Being that close should give you a positive ID on air weapons - though not
on replica's. There are a whole load of close range alternatives to a 9mm
soft point - pepper sprays, the tazer and not to forget the good old police
dog, often seen at police displays disarming (very effectively too) the
"robber with a pistol" , sadly no-one seems to like using them for the task.
Perhaps the thought of all that bad breath, dribbling and farting in the ARV
for a full shift is off putting - although you would think a German Shepherd
could cope with that.<G>

>I remember seeing a picture of someone shot with a baton
>gun at close range and the baton did penetrate.  I seem
>to recall cases in NI where people were very seriously
>injured with them.

There were a significant number of deaths from baton guns in NI, almost
exclusively they were due to shots to the head. Whether this was due to
deliberate misuse or sloppy aim is open to conjecture.

>Also I have been saying sinceabout 1989 that the police >would be better
off with .223s rather than 9mm, >because .223 penetrates less.  Finally they
seem to be doing >that.

Something that was not mentioned in the previous and very long thread on
police use of .223's was the possibility of "secondary projectiles". This is
a situation caused by the .223's high energy dump, resulting in dense chunks
of bone fragment (jaw, vertebrae, femur etc) to be propelled from the victim
at high velocity, sufficient to cause death or serious injury to someone
standing behind or to one side of the victim - not an every shot occurrence
but worth throwing into the "for or against" pot all the same.

Rusty
--
The point about whether it was an airgun I don't think is relevant.

If I was two yards from the guy and I could read the make and model
I would still treat it as a lethal threat.  You have no idea what
the guy could have done to it to increase the power of the gun.
For all you know he could have bought it in France or somewhere
where they have a much higher muzzle energy.

If it's an air _pistol_, okay, fair enough, but air rifle?
No way, I'd shoot him!  How many of you lot would volunteer to
be shot at close range with a 12 ft/lb air rifle?

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]