From:   CILA / ICAL National Office, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

CILA / ICALáááááááááááááá
Defending Canada's Heritage

Harris to entrench right to hunt
New law will protect Ontario's `good heritage'

By Tonda MacCharles - Toronto Star Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA - The right to hunt will be enshrined in Ontario
law this fall, Ontario Premier Mike Harris says.
Harris said hunting and fishing are a part of the province's
heritage and deserve recognition as such.

``There are some who believe that because they don't
like hunting that they have the right to say nobody
can hunt,'' Harris told reporters.

``We are making a statement that our heritage of hunting
is a good heritage,'' the Premier said following a speech
to several hundred Canadian and American hunters here for
a hunting conference.

``It's something that's important, it plays an important
role in conservation and it's something that's not
negotiable,'' he said.

He dismissed arguments against spending public money to
support hunting.

``We provide money to the ballet. We provide money to the
opera. And yet, for the actual majority of Canadians, it's
not their first choice for recreation or for culture.''

Harris' remarks appeared to assuage the concerns of many
hunters at the showcase symposium, being held for the
first time in Canada.

Widely criticized for cancelling Ontario's spring bear
hunt, the Premier was emphatic in his support for the
sport and was applauded.

``My government believes that sustainable and ethical
hunting has an important place in our society,'' Harris
told the audience.

It was just what Peter Williams, of Emo, Ont. near Fort
Francis, wanted to hear. Williams is an outfitter who
says hunting and fishing ought to be entrenched in the
Canadian constitution.

Hunting ``is very threatened by the urbanization in
North America, particularly in southern Ontario,'' said
Williams. ``If we don't have some protection, it
could be removed from us.''

Harris has been in the crossfire between pro- and
anti-hunting groups over the event being held in Canada.
On Wednesday, anti-hunt protesters slammed two cream
pies - made with soy, not animal products - on to a
target that featured a photo of Harris.

The 50 demonstrators from the Peaceful Parks Coalition -
some wearing bear and deer costumes - waved signs and
shouted ``hunters go home.''

There were no protests yesterday.

One of the key concerns at the symposium is how to
improve hunting's battered public image. ``We have to
work on that,'' said Alex Smith, of Ducks Unlimited
Canada, who said he welcomed Harris' remarks. Natural
Resources Minister John Snobelen told the audience they
can no longer afford to ignore the fact that 95
per cent of the population doesn't hunt, and often,
doesn't understand hunting's role in conservation.

`Sustainable and ethical hunting has important place'

Later, Snobelen said the new Hunting and Fishing Act
will ensure hunting practices are ethical and humane,
and may address how new technology, such as
radio controls on dogs and improved weaponry, makes
hunting easier.

Harris took aim at Bill C-68, the federal gun-control
law.

``C-68 is a boondoggle. It's a waste of hundreds of
millions of dollars that's doing nothing to stop illegal
guns, crime, handguns - all those areas we think
the federal government should be doing more on.

``We're in favour of gun control. We just think Bill
C-68 is targeting the wrong audience. It's a misfocussed
effort.''

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]