From:   Jeremy Peter Howells, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

One 'military' storage facility lay inside a sub-division
where I served as a police officer.  They were constantly
reporting items missing.

Quite often these are audit or inventory errors.

Remember the fire at Radway Green in the early 1980's.
After the fire they realised they disn't know what they
really had in store and that a full audit hadn't been
carried out for years.  They estimated they were missing
some 200 tons of small arms ammunition (mainly 7.62mm and
9mm), plus hundreds of the weapons chambered for these
same rounds!

Friends with military connections constantly have
stories of annual audits where weapons, ammunition,
even major items like tanks and APCs can't be accounted
for.

The Australian idea is obviously a ploy to make purchasing
a gun as difficult as possible.  The added costs of
purchasing 'demonstration samples' which can never be
sold seems like an undue restraint of trade.  The idea
that once bought they can never be sold, even though
they are the dealers legal property and must be
surrendered to the police for destruction seems utterly
crazy.  Perhaps the Australian government would like to
do the same with cars and see what the auto industry
says in very vocal terms!

One work around presumably the dealers could order guns
for customers who then take delivery and immediately
sell the gun back to the dealer, or would Customs take
a dim view of this?

Regards

Jerry
--
That is the whole point, as far as I can tell.  How much
power does Australian Customs have?  Under the Australian

I cannot fathom how the Australian Federal Government
can say that the Customs power extends to the sale of
an item domestically at some distant future point,
especially when it will likely be an intra-State sale.

Surely that is the juristiction of the State or
territorial Government?

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]