From:   Thomas A Chandler, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Also visit,

http://www.antenna.nl/wise-database/uranium/dhap995.html
http://gulfwarvets.com/du4.htm
http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/dris.html
http://www.cpeo.org/lists/military/1997/msg00409.html
http://www.thenation.com/issue/970526/0526mesl.htm
http://www.antenna.nl/wise-database/uranium/dhap99.html

Tom Chandler Chairman Capital District Shooters Commitee On Political
Education
SCOPE N.Y.'s largest Second Amendment Civil Rights Group
http://www.scopeny.org
Civil Rights-Individual rights of personal liberty guaranteed by Bill of
Rights
(first ten Amendments) and 13th ,14th, 15th and 19th Amendments. Black's
Law
Dictionary New Pocket Edition 1996

[ Home ] [ Up ] [ Donate ] [ Search ] [ Contents ] [ Research ] [
Resources ] [ News ] [ Advocacy ] [ About NGWRC ] [ Forums ] [ 99
Conference ] [ Members ] [ Mail ]

Statement of Dr. Asaf Durakovic
Chief of Nuclear Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Facility, Wilmington,
DE.
June 26, 1997

Subcommittee on Human Resources and Intergovernmental Relations, House
Committee on Government Reform and Oversight

Medical Implications

During the Persian Gulf War, Depleted Uranium was used in anti-tank armor
piercing projectiles and in tank armor plating to increase, respectively,
penetration capability and resistance to penetration. DU is still very
radio toxic and is highly pyrogenic when ignited, which happens when
artillery shells are fired. The intense, searing flame caused by ignition
of the uranium not only aids in penetration of tank armor, but also
liberates the uranium into the environment making it available for
internal contamination via inhalation and ingestion. Tanks made of DU
armor and hit by DU shells also ignite in this way creating the same
effect, i.e. friendly fire.

Depleted Uranium enters the body via inhalation, ingestion, and
absorption through open wounds or imbedded shrapnel. Uranium is water
soluble and can be transported throughout the body. The alpha particle
release by decay of the uranium atom gives up its large amount energy in
a distance no larger than a couple of microns. Causing breaks and
ionization of molecules, it is capable of destroying proteins, enzymes,
RNA, and damaging DNA in many different ways, including double strand
breaks. This kind of damage in the reproductive organs can lead to
genetic hazards which can be passed on from generation to generation.
Soluble uranium compounds cause mainly chemical damage to the proximal
convoluted tubules of the kidney. DU is incorporated into bones where it
can have menagopetic effects as well as causing leukemia. In the lung, GU
damages the alveoli. Since DU can cross the placenta, it can create
massive problems for the radiosensitive tissues of the fetus. Damage to
the fetus may lead to somatic malformation including shortened limbs,
damage to the CNS, cardiovascular, and muscular problems. Other effects
associated with DU poisoning are: emotional and mental deterioration,
fatigue, loss of bowel and bladder control, as well as numerous forms of
cancer. Such symptoms are increasing showing up in Iraq's children and
among Gulf War veterans and their offspring. Depleted Uranium also has
physiological effects associated with its heavy metal properties.
Although most of the ingested DU will be excreted through urine or feces
shortly after exposure, a significant quantity of DU will remain in the
body. Because of the chemical and radiological toxicity of DU, the small
number of particles trapped in the lungs. kidneys, and bone greatly
increase the risk of cancer and all other illnesses over time. These
small amounts of DU left in the body are a constant source of low-level
radiation that damages cell structure. Tons of DU were left in the Gulf
region in the form of spent munitions and destroyed tanks which allowed
DU to enter the air, water, and reside on the ground, thereby becoming
part of the food chain. In this way, DU will continue to plague the
health of the people both Iraqi and American who remain in the region for
many decades.

According to the results of a survey of 10,051 GW veterans, conducted by
Vic Sylvester and the Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm Association
between 1991 and 1995, 82% of GW veterans entered captured Iraqi
vehicles. This would suggest that 123,000 soldiers have been directly
exposed to DU.

In 1991, 24 soldiers from the 144th Transportation and Supply Co., New
Jersey, were referred to me by Ventnor Clinic in my capacity of Chief of
Nuclear Medicine, VA Medical Facility, Wilmington, DE. All of the
veterans were referred to me for the opinion and diagnostic assessment of
their DU body burden. My expertise is in the internal contamination of
radioisotopes and I was the only published researcher in the federal VA
system with research on transuranic elements at the time these soldiers
were referred to me. Although I personally served in Operation Desert
Shield as Unit Commander, my expertise of internal contamination was
never used because we were never informed of the intended use of DU prior
to or during the war.

The research on the effects of transuranic elements in the human system
is not well known as prior accidents have dealt with many isotopes
(Chernobyl) and the Persian Gulf War deals with one actinide, i.e.,
uranium.