From:   "Christopher Gould", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Talking in the pub the other night with an assortment of
farming and shooting buddies, the concensus was that
Labour, the Tories, and the Lib Dems are now all the same
and none of them are any good. Living as I do in Wales we
also discussed Plaid Cymru, and rapidly agreed that they
had become just like the other three as well. A general
sense of gloom and despondency prevailed until someone
suggested that he would stand as an independant,
pro-field sports, pro self-defence, anti big brother,
you name it his policies were OK on it. The mood improved
somewhat. Then an elderly and distinguished chap came over
and informed him solemnly that if he did that the security
services would get out his file and check through it for
any skeletons that they could leak to the press in order
to smear him, and that in the absence of any they would
set him up with one or two. He went on to explain that he
should know because he used to work for the security services
before he retired, and that he had often attended the very
pub that we were in to spy on our fathers when they were
there. In view of this we all decided to stay at home next
polling day like last time. He must have been joking wasn't
he?  We never found out since he sloped off muttering something
about us seeming naive. Well, are any of them worth voting for?
What about the UK Independance Party?
--
Forget totally about parties, when it comes to shooting at any
rate.  Most people (or politicians at any rate) seem to base

Short of joining the party most likely to win and becoming their
candidate, the best strategy IMO is to find out where all the
candidates stand and vote for the best candidate, regardless of
what party they represent.  If all of them are bad, pick the
one that is the best and attempt to educate him/her.

Even in the US and Switzerland there is no party which can be
singularly identified with "pro-shooting" views so forget about
trying to pick the one that is best.  If shooters did then
people like Frank Cook (Labour) and John Dingell (Democrat) who
as pro-gun as you can get wouldn't get elected, except without
our help.

In my experience support for shooting is more readily identified
by the location of the candidate, most representing urban areas
are anti and most representing rural areas are pro.  That's why
we're in such big trouble in this country, because we have
one of the most urban societies in the world.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]