From:   Norman Bassett, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I discovered this item in the Daily Telegraph
(microfilm in the local reference library) for May 28
1940 p. 5:

"Revolvers May Be Carried:
The War Office has given permission to officers on
leave and on duties at home to carry their revolvers
as part of their dress equipment.
   Many officers have taken advantage of this
concession. The reason for it is understood to be that
in the war of movement now taking place officers
preferred to carry their revolvers with them, since
there were few places where they could be safely left
when temporarily free of duty."

What was happening at the time was that troops had
returned home from the Norwegian withdrawal on 2 May,
28 May was about halfway through Operation Dynamo so
troops were coming back from Dunkerque, and Winston
Churchill had just become Prime Minister on 20 May
1940.

I recall my uncle's comment that officers tired from
the fighting overseas were being stripped of their
sidearms at the British ports by MPs and Customs
Officers carrying sidearms - who had of course NOT
just been risking their necks for their country. It
smacked - or rather stank - of the kind of government
they were supposed to be fighting against. Churchill
was a regular pistol-carrier himself and saw no reason
why everyone shouldn't do it.

Does anyone know what part of all the pistols that the
British government issued during WW2 was accounted for
at the end of WW2?

Regards
Norman Bassett
drakenfels.org