From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Many interesting comments have been made regarding Vihtavuori powders but no
real explanation has yet been forthcoming of why I experienced ferocious
leading with N310 powder but not with Hercules Bullseye - all other
components in the equation being the same. Whatever the mechanism that is
causing the leading, it must be associated with the powder as nothing else
has been changed. There was no velocity leading in the barrel. The leading
occurred solely in the cylinder chamber throats (the  portion ahead of the
chambered cartidge) and was fairly uniformly distributed round the chamber
mouths in all six chambers. The barrel forcing cone and rifling were
virtually unaffected. This happened in two guns - my 686 and my friend's 586.
Despite the leading, both guns shot very well indeed for at least 40 shots
between cleanings. After some 40 shots the leading was a highly visible thick
layer, effectively 'soldered' to the chamber throats and was very hard to
remove.

With regard to the use of 38 Special cases by '1500' shooters etc. instead of
357's: One reason is that the 38 Special cases are more easily ejected from
revolvers than are the 357 Magnum cases, particularly in revolvers with
relatively short cylinders/ejector rod movements e.g Colts. Most of the
special revolvers built for Police Pistol events were based, as I recall, on
the 38 Special rather than on the 357 Magnum. This may have been because the
builders of these pistols considered that the 38 Special cylinder, being
slightly lighter than a 357 Magnum one, would make double action shooting
easier. (In real practical terms, I doubt if that difference in cylinder
weight would be a major contributor to the nature of a double action trigger
pull but I suppose, at top competitive level, every little helps.)

As most of us on Cybershooters will know, with revolvers such as the Colt
Python the ejector rod movement is not quite sufficient to push a 357 Magnum
case completely clear of the cylinder. If the ejection operation is not
performed smartly enough to 'throw' the cases clear of the cylinder they will
stay in it and will have to be removed by hand. Most Smith & Wesson 357
Magnum revolvers have longer cylinders than the 'equivalent' Colts and also
have a longer ejection stroke. This facilitates case ejection but you can
still get a snarl up if you don't eject smartly enough as the occasional
case, particularly the longer 357 Magnum cases, can move laterally away from
the ejection spider during the final stages of the ejection stroke if it is
done too slowly. They then have to be removed by hand, which takes time.
Sometimes case heads can even slip back under the ejector spider - i.e the
spider can no longer get back to eject the cases - and really tie things up
for a while as you may even have to poke them out from the front of the
cylinder with some suitable object. This scenario is carefully controlled by
'Sod's Law', of course, and it only happens when it can cause you the most
embarrassment - e.g. during a competition. Proper technique  prevents this,
of course!

Best wishes,

Richard Malbon

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]