From:   "Christopher Gould", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Over the many years that I have been shooting I suppose that
there have been a few people that I have been uneasy about,
but nothing really that I could do about it. Surely though,
this is no longer the case. Who is going to submit a
confidential reference for someone about whom they are unhappy?

Which club committee member would agree to do a reference at
all for someone like this?

It seems to me that it just will not happen, I am a club
committee member and I certainly will not. It seems self
evident therefore that within three or four years or so any
bad apples should have been weeded out by the new referee
system.

It seems rather a good idea in fact, so can we look forward to
a similar system for police AFOs? What vetting procedures are
currently applied for them? We have several in our club and
they all seem to be eminently reasonable and sensible chaps;
but , who knows, maybe there are a few bad apples somewhere
that might be weeded out by a requirement for two references
every few years from people outside the police such as friends
or neighbours. It seems illogical to deny the police themselves
the benefits that flow from the prohibition on police officers
giving such references.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]