From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
How do we prove the theory that the reason people "bear left" because of it
being the "shield side" of the body? By means of the Sherlock Homes
method....once you have eliminated all other possibilities, that which
remains, however improbable, can be the only answer.
--
Ah.. the old logic flaws show up again...

It has nothing to do with the shield bearing, or anything else like that.
The
simple reason is, some 90% of the population is right handed. Therefore, the
spiral
allows the defender to use his prefferred weapon arm, whereas the attacker
has to
use his weak arm if he wants to be able to swing. As for vearing to the left
when
walkig, that is due to right-handed people taking slightly longer strides
with the
more powerful, prefferred, right leg. As for jerking cars and planes to the
left,
again, it is the action of moving the prefferred arm to the position of
defending
the body, and is instinctive. Just watch people training in martial arts,
trying to
block with the wrong arm, the wrong way. After a life time of blocking by
trying to
stop an attack, it is very hard to get used to blocking with the weak arm,
or
blocking to the outside of the body, as it is not "natural", but it is a way
in
which a trained martial artist has an advantage against an untrained
attacker, all
else being equal.

Nigel

P.S. So I don't have to send another post, I largely agree with Steve's
position.
Self-defence should be allowed, as should concealed carry, in as much as
those who
have not been convicted of a violent or otherwise dubious crime, and have
been able
to pass the required tests (hopefully just accuracy and handling) should, if
they
wish, be allowed to take a concealed firearm with them, whereever they go.
Removal
of it by a doorman, etc. would be an offence, as why should the bouncers
have all
the weapons? Likewise the police in a non-situation. The massive deterrence
effect
would be worth the ocassional problem.
Relating to drugs, I also agree with Steve, in that Hash should be legal. E
I am
not so sure about, likewise Speed. Dealers should be shot, preferably by
other
dealers, then the one that is left should be locked up for life. And life
should
mean 20 years, perhaps more. I also think the TV licence should be scrapped,
as
what chance does freedom of speach or expression have against a state
monopoly?.
Wow, I will never get my FAC back at this rate! Norm, ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) you
had
better email me that country! Either that, or I start my own.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]