From:   "Ron Rosenfeld", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can sit here and reel off loads of court cases in which
people had guns illegally for self-defence and got very
light sentences or were let off.  In essence the court
was agreeing they did have a good reason for having the
gun.

please do.  off list ok with me
--
Well I've already mentioned several, the one in the pub
for example where the guy was fined L1,000.

Another one I haven't mentioned recently was a man whose
family was kidnapped.  He was arrested in Essex with a
Colt Python in his car.  He was given 100 hours community
service when it became clear that his life was in grave
danger from the people who had kidnapped his family.
(He lived in Handsworth and the case was in Birmingham
Crown Court).

There was another case in London where a guy set up a
booby trap with a shotgun to blast burglars, I can't
remember off-hand if he did actually end up blasting someone
(I seem to recall it did go off) and he received quite a
light sentence for illegal possession.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]