From:   Norman Bassett, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A CORRECTION to my last posting. The Peace of
Brest-Litovsk was signed on 3 March 1918, not in 1917
as I stated. The peace negotiations started after the
Bolshevik Revolution of 17 November 1917 (it's called
the "October" Revolution because that was the
Russian-style date).

You can look at the actual thing and associated
documents on:
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/diplomacy/forrel/1918rv1/blmenu.htm

It's interesting that the Blackwell Report (available
on cybershooters.org) which was the precursor to the
1920 Firearms Act, was originally commissioned on 27
February 1918, surely in full knowledge of the general
progress of the war and of the Brest-Litovsk peace
negotiations' possible impact on it, and delivered on
15 November 1918.

There are FACTS available from which to argue and they
are accessible with a little trouble taken. I think
the general exchange of opinions on police corruption
is healthy, but not necessarily getting us anywhere
because it's more of an argument than a
factually-supported debate. To comprehend the full and
comprehensive horror of the situation requires a list
of newspaper and government reports on the various
incidents involved.

IG is fighting his corner doggedly, but I don't think
there's a great deal to support some of his
contentions <g!> and I think the history of the police
force also resembles a pit of snakes covered with a
heaving blanket.

When you think about it, police corruption is a
sub-set of a more general British government
corruption.

Regards
Norman Bassett
drakenfels.org