From:   Peter H Jackson, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Are you going for gold Steve ? - tell us more.
>
>Rusty
>--
>I just want something decent for 300m.  I assume 6x47
>is favoured over 6mm PPC because 6x47 has more going
>for it at 300m as they were both originally designed
>for benchrest.

Steve,

The current favourite for 300 m seems to be the 6 mm BR Norma (6
BR Rem with 1.5 deg throat and 9" or 8" twist for 95 or 105 grain
VLDs. Apart from being an ideal shape and size for the 6 mm bore,
there is the advantage of Lapua brass which is of outstanding
quality without being expensive.

The short, fat 6 BR case has the same base diameter as 308 Win.
etc., but uses small rifle primers. Muzzle velocity with a 95
grain bullet (BC= 0.5) is just below 3,000 fps, which means that
barrel fouling is not too severe.

In the USA and Canada a lot of people are using the 6 BR for
F-class and 1,000 yd bench-rest. Larry Bartholeme used one to set
a 2.653" Light Gun (1,000 yd) five-shot record at the NBRSA
nationals in 1999. It is catching on in this country too. David
Jackson (no relation) used one to win the Old Fogey's class (NRA
F-class) at the County of Lancaster Open this year.

I have three 6 BR projects on the books for next year, so far...

Rgds, Peter.

www.jacksonrifles.com

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]