From:   "Kay, Martin (DEI)", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have heard a version of this which has it that the monkey was from a
French or Spanish warship which came to grief on the coast during one of the
many disagreements between England and our continental neighbors over the
centuries, possibly dating as far back as the great but ill-fated  Spanish
Armada expedition.  It was a mascot/pet as it was evidently wearing a
miniature uniform when it was found, which resulted it it's trial and
subsequent "execution" as an enemy of the realm.

Regards

Martin Kay

(Originally a native of Wallsend On Tyne)

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]