From:   "Earl Williamson", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fury as marksmen escape charges

by Deepa Shah
Two police officers who shot dead an unarmed man afte
 mistaking a table leg he was carrying for a sawn-off
shotgun, will not be prosecuted, the Crown Prosecution
Service said today.

A spokesman said there was "insufficient evidence" to bring
criminal charges.

Harry Stanley, a 46-year-old grandfather, was gunned down by
firearms officers from Scotland Yard a few yards from his
Hackney home on 22 September last year. His family are said
to be "devastated and incredibly angry" at the decision not
to prosecute.

Their spokesman, Terry Stewart of the Justice for Harry Stanley
Campaign, said: "They've got the weapon and they have two
officers responsible for a man's death. What more evidence do
they need?

"Harry was a 46-year-old man who had just had cancer. He could
barely walk. The idea that he could have posed a threat to anyone
is laughable."

He said the family's fight for justice would continue.

The decision also enraged Deborah Coles, co-director of Inquest,
a charity that investigates deaths in police custody.

She said: "This unbelievable decision ... shows that the rule of
law does not apply to police officers. How can we accept that the
shooting dead of an unarmed man does not result in a criminal
trial where a jury decides whether or not the actions were unlawful?"

A Scotland Yard spokesman would only say they had received a copy
of the report.

--------

Could decisions such as this one be partly to blame for the view
that certain Civil Servants are "above the law".

Surely this is the wrong message to be sending out. The message
should be "those who lay down the law & those who uphold it
professionally are working in the best interests of the people."

Just my thoughts

EW
--
I think this is difficult to judge without seeing precisely what
is in that report.  However, the CPS is very wary of prosecuting

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]