From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm no metallurgist, but how it was explained to me is something like this -
moisture ( from the chemical reaction of burning powder ) plus molybdenum (
a sulphide ) plus stainless steel can set up an electro-chemical reaction
path which causes "crevice erosion" in the stainless steel - this is very
noticeable where angular machining has been done ( rifling ) - this was the
basic explanation given to me by a surveyor colleague to explain the virtual
total destruction of threading and of more than half its 1 3/4 inch
thickness, on a six month old marine grade stainless steel bolt - for some
reason the nut was not affected. I am now very wary of moly anywhere near
stainless.
Over to the more scientifically inclined :-)
David M ( Sussex )

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]