From:   "Cleland Rogers", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I worked in the Royal Hong Kong Police with many ex UK police officers.

When asked, most of them said that their attitude changed markedly when they
joined a routinely armed force. The prevailing attitude of most UK police
towards the carriage of firearms seems to be based on the 'hassle factor'
and the likelihood of  getting into administrative bother by losing
it/breaking it/using it. I think that most have not really thought the
matter through and see the gun on the belt as something that will alienate
them from the public they are meant to serve.

I can tell you that in my 13 years as a police officer in Hong Kong and N.I.
I have never found that to be the case. In fact the mere presence of
firearms and the implied threat of their use can often help resolve
potentially violent situations before they escalate to the point where the
use of lethal force becomes a consideration.

Cleland Rogers

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]