From:   "Jim Franklin", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There is a variant of the SMLE, that fires .22LR by using a dummy .303
"slave" made from brass or steel. The dummy round is loaded from the rear
with a ..22 round and up to 10 can be placed in the normal SMLE magazine.
The dummies are naturally reuseable.

These dummies are considered highly collectable by cartridge addicts and
originals are essentially unobtainable, but replacements are not difficult
to machine.

What is the situation regarding these dummy rounds? They are not part of the
rifle. The collectors I know do not lock them away. The one person I know
who owns such a Lee-Enfield does not have the items on his ticket, indeed he
managed to procure some dummy carts quite recently without any account being
taken of his FAC.

Jim Franklin
Orpington
KENT. UK
PGP key on request
--
It depends how these things work as to whether they are controlled
or not.  If the thing is permanently inserted into the chamber and

If it is designed to hold a round and be fed into the chamber and
fire the round and then be ejected, it is a component part of
ammunition and is not controlled in and of itself (although it
can be subject to the controls on ammunition under certain
circumstances).

There is a huge grey area between these two extremes.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]