From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>This first bit is really directed at ET: - would you
>agree that the US right-to-carry laws are in fact
>providing the US State and Federal governments with a
>list of those most likely to use ANY arms at all to
>defend themselves with against ANYONE - which includes
>for example the US government?

        --rest snip--

        Steve, & Norman,

        To tell you the truth, I don't really care if they know
what I have, and when. Because, if the bloody SOBs come around
to collect anything in the way of arms, they'll get them -- one
round at a time, and in all likelihood, they'll be one less subscriber
to Cybershooters.
        Promise me you won't cry over spent ammo, okay?

        I'm certainly not by myself in this matter, and there
is a network building among quite a few people I associate with
who are shooters also, to the extent that if anything transpires
regarding confiscation of legally held arms, the matter will be
broadcast far and wide, rather quickly, through several mediums.

        Yes, the State of Washington knows of what pistols I
have purchased through FFL dealers. They know not a thing of
the arms I have purchased otherwise.
        Do I care? A little, but if push comes to shove, and the
Jackboots are ordered to play collection, then my suspicions will
have been validated.
        The whole idea of collecting the data on pistols was that
the it would be on file for forensics. Care to guess how many
investigations were solved using that data? Care to guess why the
data is still collected?

        Up until about 10 years ago, I didn't possess a Concealed
Pistol License (Washington has a CPL, as opposed to a Concealed Carry
Weapon -- CCW, as with some other states -- we used to). I didn't always
carry a firearm with me as I do now. I didn't need to, as I was in the
US Navy until 1988. When I left, I started to carry one in various
situations -- depending.
        It was suggested to me, by an acquaintance who is a LEO,
that I should cover my butt, and it was hinted at rather strongly that
having that nanny state permission slip would reduce the chances
of lawyer's fees and court time, not to mention spending time in the
pokey while proving myself a citizen in good standing.

        Many, and I do mean many, sheriffs and police officers have
the need to carry that slip as well. Most do. Some don't, and that is
their business.

        I have made several suggestions to the State of Washington
concerning why it should simply dispense with its license. I have been
heard, and whether what I have suggested will be acted upon remains
to be seen.

        As to your inference that the licences are being issued as
a means of guessing who would use an arm in defence of one's self,
allow me this:
        In the final analysis, it really doesn't matter who has
and who has not got a license, as there are more people who carry a
pistol without a license than those who do. I can vouch for this as the
number of my acquaintances grows, I find that the ones who do have
a permit is a very much smaller number than those who do not. I sometimes
contemplate this as I travel about. Most of <them> would not lift a trigger
finger to assist another person not of their family, as that would expose
their possession. They feel that everyone is on their own in this mess.

        And then there is that question of how many Americans own
regular hunting rifles. And other rifles. Check this out: almost all of the
women shooters I know got their rifles from a private sale. Virtually none
of them is recorded anywhere.
        And, having applied for a hunting license does not in the least
infer possession, as some people rent their hunting arms.

        Yeah, they know I have something, but they don't come close
to knowing anything about what is really 'out there'.

        Oh, and it is understood by the powers that be, that if 'push
does comes to shove', that all hell will break loose trying to play a stupid
game. That's one of the reasons for the perennial play in the mass media
about firearms: They want to convince even the devout liberals that it is
in their best interests to register their arms. Not a chance here. Stupid is
as stupid does. This matter is like hair: you can comb it any way you
like. But at the end of the day, it's all about nothing but looks.
--
=*= Liberty: Live it . . . or lose it.  =*=

ET

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01