From:   "Richard Loweth", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Why do you need an FAC air rifle? In my mind if you hit a squirrel "right"
you will kill it with a non-FAC air rifle. The extra power with an FAC air
rifle simply does not give enough additional useful energy vis-a-vis using
expanding bullets instead of conventional pellets. The only advantage that
it might give would be a flatter trajectory, but if you are in a plantation
I cannot see that your maximum range is going to be much over 15 yards
anyway.
I hope you are not offended by my saying that your are making a great deal
of extra work and many other problems, because your rifle is held on an FAC
against just using a good, accurate, NON-RECOILING, 12 ft/lbs rifle. Advantages
are not only no fee and no cabinet but also you can just leave in the car,
at a friend's house, behind the counter of the local pub etc with no grief.
If you are going the FAC route go the whole way and use a .22LR rifle. For
L60.00 you will get something (an old BSA "Sportsman 5" or equivalent) that
will outshoot your FAC air rifle each and every time AND with CCI "Zimmer
Patrone" or "CB Long" indoor gallery cartridges is so far superior in
accuracy that you would not believe it. Spend the L200 you will save on the
best quality full-bore rated telescopic sight and you won't regret it.
FAC air rifles are an a solution to a non-existent problem. Any .22LR
cartridge rifle with correct ammunition - viz "CB Long" or "Zimmer Patrone"
is more accurate and, actually quieter with no silencer fitted at all.
--
The police will sometimes give authority for FAC air rifles but not
a .22 rimfire for pest control in certain situations.  I've had that

Also I keep reading in gun magazines about how to kill squirrels with
a low-power air rifle, but some of us just don't have the time to
spend finding the right rifle, the right scope, the right ammo and
so on.  I want to kill the flipping squirrels, not mess about with
some highly expensive and time-consuming exercise.

I disagree with people who say a 12 ft/lb air rifle is adequate
for pest control on squirrels.  I've killed squirrels with them
but I don't consider them humane in many situations and you have
to get really close to kill them sometimes.  The squirrels around
here are sometimes so fat the pellets bounce off!

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01