From:   "SA Mail", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

NEWS RELEASE
8th.January, 2001

ACPO MOUNT FURTHER ASSAULTS ON LEGITIMATE SHOOTERS

This Association has  been advised that ACPO have recommended
to Government Ministers that firearms such as the .50 Barrett
and also long-barreled pistols should be further restricted and
that this could be done by utilising the power, granted under
Section 1(4) of the Firearms (Amendment) Act, 1988, for the
Secretary of State to raise these items to Section 5 of the
Principal Act and thereby, effectively, prohibit private
possession of these items.

ACPO would appear to believe that these firearms are either
'specially dangerous' or 'wholly or partly composed of material
making it not readily detectable by apparatus used for detecting
metal objects; .........' if they now want them to be placed in
Section 5 of the 1968 Act.  Section 1(4) of the Firearms
(Amendment) Act, 1988 also covers ammunition that may be
considered 'specially dangerous.'

Where on Earth do they get such notions? This Association has
always maintained that a person's fitness to possess firearms is
all that matters - the actual type of firearms possessed by a
person fit to do so must surely be totally irrelevant to public
safety. (Public Safety being the peg on which so much of the more
recent restrictive legislation has been hung.) Have there ever been
any problems with legitimately held 50 calibre rifles or
long-barreled pistols? Of course there haven't - it is just some
notion concocted by those whose days are spent in contemplating what
could or might be done with any particular artifact.

Yes, rifles firing cartridges such as the .50 BMG are powerful
firearms. Armour piercing and incendiary ammunition for them (the
only types that could possibly be classed as 'specially dangerous')
has already been prohibited for civilian use. Ranges suitable for
using such firearms and also available to civilians are few and far
between in this country but the perfectly legitimate sport of target
shooting with 50 calibre rifles is a healthy and growing interest. The
important point is that those persons who own such firearms are very
responsible people who do not represent a threat to anyone. If that
were not the case, they should not possess any firearms at all, never
mind .50 calibres.

Another important point is that, as is the case with much military
equipment and ideas, the present .50 calibre military sniping rifle
was developed by civilians and subsequently adopted by the military.
This reinforces the significant link between civilian target shooting
and Defence of the Realm - one of the fundamental purposes behind the
National Rifle Association. ACPO's actions would negate that purpose.

Certain Firearms Licensing Managers have suggested to us that the
police are worried in case criminals should steal these firearms and
then put them to criminal use. They also suggest that, to ease their
worries, the firearms should be prohibited.

Based solely upon their record of restrictive recommendations, we are
entitled to believe that the ACPO have their own agenda which includes
the removal of all licensed firearms from 'civilian' hands. (They seem
to be less interested in doing something about the ever increasing
number and incidence of usage of unlicensed firearms by criminals.)

It is high time that this unelected and apparently totally unaccountable
body was instructed to stop involving itself in political matters and to
concentrate on genuine police work. It is quite wrong, in any supposedly
'free' society, for the police to be the law-makers. The police should
restrict themselves to enforcing the laws made by our democratically
elected Parliament and should not be allowed to introduce their own ideas
other than through that same democratic process as individual subjects of
this Realm. Governments in recent years seem to rely heavily upon the
Statutory Instrument procedure to ram through restrictive legislation
rather than to permit full and proper debate (the lead shot restrictions
being a case in point). Statutory Instruments are, in theory, placed
before the House of Commons to be considered before they take effect but
do not seem to receive much 'consideration' unless someone makes a fuss,
as we do, via the 'prayer' process!

In our opinion, ACPO's views are accorded too much weight by Government.
On the other hand, the views of the responsible shooters in this country,
as presented to Government by our National Bodies, are  conveniently
disregarded whenever they do not suit the Government's purpose.

ACPO's actions are not helping the police service at ground level to
carry out their duties as those actions merely serve to antagonise the
shooting public to the general detriment of the good relations that used
to obtain between the police and the public. We would hope that serving
police officers in the front line of the fight to combat criminal
activities would seize any opportunities to persuade ACPO to abandon
their present agenda and to return to a common sense approach to police
work.

It is time that the ACPO  was reminded that the police are merely
'civilians' with no special powers over the rest of us. They should
also be reminded that this country prides itself on being policed and
Governed by the consent of the people. That consent is not automatically
accorded.

We must establish just how much of our money - as taxpayers and Council
Tax payers - is being spent on maintaining the ACPO and then perhaps we
could either force them to give us better value for our money or force
them out of existence.

It would help if all shooters were to write to their own Police Forces
and ask them to state how much that force was contributing to the ACPO
budget each year and then to let us know at our Head Office. Remember, we
are actually paying for these people to invent further restrictions to
impose upon us. Where are the consequential benefits in terms of
improvements in public safety that have resulted from any of their efforts?

It would also help if all shooters, and all others who believe in freedom
of choice, would write to or visit their own MP's to protest about this
latest assault on our activities from ACPO.
--
Let me just add a bit here - the Home Office tell me that the ACPO
budget is 1.4 million a year, but so far the figures I have from

2/3 of this funding comes from Police Authorities, i.e. your
council tax.  My suggestion is that you write to your Force Director
of Finance, find out how much money is given to ACPO each year,
and then take up your concerns with your local councillor.  Usually
the amount is substantially more than a police officer's salary,
or several salaries.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01