From:   Peter H Jackson, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>So, how does one prepare and cook Squig then?  I have a few nice
>juicy ones that run within an easy shot of my bedroom window!
>
>mike
>"Roll up, roll up, squirrel souffle 2/6"

Mike,

Skin and paunch like a rabbit. Be careful not to burst the gall
bladder, the bitter contents of which will render the meat
practically inedible. Joint the carcase like a rabbit. If it is a
small squiggle, keep just the saddle and thighs.

To cook "tree rats", stew or casserole like rabbit. Or, if it is
a young critter, just fry quickly in butter or olive oil with a
few field mushrooms. October breakfasts don't come better than
this after a morning stroll with a lurcher and a rifle.

The meat is not strong or "gamey" - it tastes a bit like pork.
Like most wild animals, squirrels taste of what they've been
eating, so animals shot in oak/beech/hazel woods have a delicious
nutty flavour - probably more appetising than garbage-fed urban
squigs.

I don't know about the souffle, but keep and dry the tail with
the bone in - you should be able to get half crown for it from
one of the fishing fly tying material suppliers.

Regards, Peter.

www.jacksonrifles.com

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.