From:   "D. Birrell", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Steve,
                Australian research has shown that the
domestic cat is a major threat to native wildlife. Belled
cats simply learn how to stalk without ringing the bell.
They are kept fed by their owners & hunt for fun. Hence in
suburban areas their numbers are not controlled by the
numbers of available prey. They decimate what is left of
our "domestic" wildlife. Truely feral cats hunt to survive;
their densities are lower than suburban cats. They are
spread across the face of the continent from the dryest
deserts to the top of Mt Koscuizko. The last group of
"wild"Aborigines to emerge from the central desert, only
some 40 years ago, were in fact called the "cat eaters".
Conservative estimates are that cats kill 8 billion
Australian wild animals & birds annually. The National
Parks & Wildlife NSW literature recommends killing all
feral cats, & the weapon of choice is "whatever is at
hand". It is not cruel to kill cats, as I have never seen
a cat that didn't benefit from the experience. At one time
we were getting $20 or more for their pelts & there were
plenty of people chasing them & foxes either full or part
time. Since the anti fur traders have brain washed the
masses, both fox & cat populations have regained maximum
densities.
    I noted a comment regarding foxes & ploughed paddocks
(sorry, fields). English studies have shown that in farming
areas foxes will survive almost entirely on earth worms, &
in good numbers. The fox is a survivor, as are fox hunters,
as I found out in a 1998 visit to the UK. Cock fighting was
banned in England 400 years ago, but it hasn't stopped.
    In a way, the more bombs the loonies send through the
post, the more minks they let loose, the more horses they
injure, the better. It shows them for what they really are.
That our polliticians can take this small group of terrorists
seriously perhaps shows that they operate on the same level
of emotional intelligence. Too bad Acts of Parliament don't
have to pass a logic test.
--
I was under the impression domestic cats are banned in some
Australian States.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01