From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

MINISTERS `HINTING AT HUNT BILL U-TURNS'

131830 FEB 10

By Amanda Brown, Environment Correspondent, PA News

The Government is expected to bring in changes to the highly controversial
Hunting Bill after protests that it would, as drafted, ban deer stalking.

MPs have overwhelmingly voted for a foxhunting ban, but the Bill was never
intended to crack down on stalking and flushing deer.

Opponents of the Bill said it went too far and would restrict land managers
from carrying out important culling and managerial tasks - a point conceded
by Home Office Minister Mike O'Brien in a letter to Conservative MP David
Lidington (Aylesbury).

Simon Hart, Director of the Campaign for Hunting said: "In the short time the
Government has allotted to the Committee stage of this Bill, we have seen
Ministers hint at some major U-turns.

"Firstly, there was doubt as to whether rabbits should or should not be
included in the list of prohibited species.

"Then we were assured by the Junior Minister Jane Kennedy that the gun packs
of Wales would be excluded from any ban and now we are told that the stalking
and flushing of deer, which was originally intended to be outlawed, will now
probably not be.

"All of this confirms that despite years of time and millions of pounds of
resources, hunting's opponents have failed to draft a Bill that actually
achieves their objectives.

"The Bill as it stands would impact on a much wider rural community than
either the House of Commons or the public have been led to believe it will."

Mr Hart added: "The Minister has a duty to ensure that there are no grey
areas, no ambiguities and no assumptions.

"If they haven't managed that by now, it is unlikely that they ever will."

Kenneth Pantling

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01