POLICE HUNT 'GETAWAY' CARS AFTER DOUBLE SHOOTING
Sunday 18 February 2001 4:50pm

Police investigating a shooting which left one man dead
and another seriously injured have launched a nationwide
search for two vehicles seen leaving the scene.
Officers have issued an all ports alert and warned the
public to report sightings of a red Audi saloon and a
blue Range Rover, but not to approach anyone inside the
vehicles.

Both cars left the scene of the shooting at Pangbourne
Mews, a row of four terraced houses on the Reading Road
in Pangbourne, Berkshire, at about 9.20pm yesterday.

Police, who had earlier been called to a disturbance at
a house there, returned when neighbours reported shots
being fired. A 27-year-old man was found dead in the
grounds of an adjacent church.

A 33-year-old man was discovered nearby with gunshot
wounds. He was taken to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in
Reading, where he underwent surgery overnight.

The victims do not live in the village, but both have
addresses in the Reading area.

Detective Inspector Paul Cassell said they were hunting
highly dangerous criminals. "This was a shocking crime
committed near a busy main road in a town which has never
experienced anything like this before.

"Anybody else who knows anything about the shootings should
also contact police as soon as possible," Mr Cassell said.

Ian Crimp, 59, who lives opposite the scene of the shootings,
says: "Shortly after nine last night I heard between eight
and 10 loud bangs, but assumed they were fireworks.

"After about 10 minutes, an elderly neighbour who lives on
her own rang me to say she was concerned about the noises. I
opened my front door and there were teams of police and
paramedics already there - many were armed."

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01