Kim
I would really like to borrow it, I'm reading The Cyclists Training Bible, which I really like. It too gives a lot of guidance on training methods, and the author highly recommends training w/ a power meter. I use a suunto hr monitor, but it doesn't really provide the kind of reliable workout data you get from a power meter. So many variables effect hr: coffee, sleep, training fatigue, diet, etc... I've looked at power mtr prices, and they range from $200-$3500. Any thoughts on the lower end meters?




Rev. Joshua M.K. Goocey
Sr. Minister
First Christian Church
207 Tarboro St. N.
Wilson, NC 27893
Email: [email protected]

On Feb 25, 2010, at 10:48 AM, Kim Benson <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey Josh--all of these questions and more can be answered in a great book by Chris Carmichael-Lance's coach. He does use power meters but they are expensive and I personally have only seen one on our rides. It was used by someone who races. Maybe getting a heart rate monitor would be a good step. A lot of riders use those. The book is "the Ultimate Ride" it tells how to do a time trial, how to train using different intervals for increasing time
and climbing and general great info. It also discusses nutrition and
preparing for long rides and races.

They even have coaching which you can do on line, or with a phone coach etc.. I have done the lowest level coaching and found it worked out great.

It is a great book and I have a copy if you want to borrow it.

Heart rate monitors vary in price, I think Tim said his Garmin has one too.




On 2/25/10 7:45 AM, "Goocey M.K. Joshua" <[email protected]> wrote:

Sup COWs,

Do any of you use a power meter for training?  If so, where did you
buy it?  What did you buy?  How much did it cost?  Who installed it?

Also, how do you ride a time trial?  I've been doing some reading
about Lactic Threshold, and I need to ride a time trial to get a base
reading for my LT.  Do I just ride as hard as I can for 30 minutes to
see how many miles I can log, and then compare that with my average
heart rate?

Peace,
Goose







Rev. Joshua M.K. Goocey
Senior Minister
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
207 Tarboro St. N.
Wilson, NC 27896
[email protected]


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] . To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en .


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en.

Reply via email to