Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: "o'dea, kc" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:27:09 
To: Kim Benson<[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Hate crimes are message crimes. They are different from other 
crimes in that the offender is sending a message to members of a certain group 
that they are unwelcome." - Dr. Jack McDevitt, criminologist

Let me just say this Kim. Every Friday we provide an opportunity for our 
listeners to vent on whatever issue they feel is important. Occasionally we 
also have instances where car-vs-bike issues come up. In both cases I encourage 
you to call in at 919-860-1061. The call screener you talked to is Chrissy and 
I will instruct her that you are to be put up right away. I apologize we ran 
out of time yesterday, but we had already spent a 90-minutes on the venting 
topics and it was time to move on. It was nothing personal. 
 
On the flip side, as a newby to North Carolina I wouldn't mind a good website 
with information on local and or mountain style bike trails. Most of the 
recommendation style information is scattered and the state's site seems a 
little incomplete. As a boy from the mountains of Wyoming and Colorado I 
suppose I was a little spoiled with the options out west.
 
KC O'Dea
Clear Channel Radio Raleigh
www.wrdu.com
 

________________________________

From: Kim Benson [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sat 2/27/2010 9:53 AM
To: o'dea, kc
Subject: Re: Hate crimes are message crimes. They are different from other 
crimes in that the offender is sending a message to members of a certain group 
that they are unwelcome." - Dr. Jack McDevitt, criminologist


One more thing KC. We are all upset because real people have really died at the 
hand of callers like the one you spoke to and we are the ones being targeted. 
We don't consider it tongue in cheek when we REALLY do have people do the VERY 
things your caller mentioned and you and your co-host were laughing about. 

I did ask to speak on the air, but the lady-maybe you, told me that you have 
moved on to another subject. We can call in if that is what you want.

Thank you for doing your part to keep everyone---including yourself  (since you 
ride) safe on the road.


Kim

Was there any comment to running into the slower cars or over the moped riders?

Sorry KC, this all makes me very sad.


On 2/27/10 9:41 AM, "o'dea, kc" <[email protected]> wrote:



        Again, please don't think I am defending the position taken by the 
caller. And even before clicking on your link I am fully aware of the previous 
radio involved issues with cyclists, however in those cases the problems were 
comments made by the hosts. 
         
        While what airs is within my control, a tongue in cheek comment cannot 
derail an entire legitimate conversation. IE: "people and things that annoy 
others." The conversation following the caller was pulled in the direction of 
people who ride those little mopeds at 30 miles an hour on 50 mile an hour 
roads, and slowpokes in the left lane. Both of which, if I remember correctly, 
had their own point value assigned to them in a purely satirical fashion and to 
point out that other out there are annoying to drivers as well. Remember like 
it or not, we don't have a right not to be offended, but if we laughed at 
ourselves a little more we might just be offended less. 
         
        My co-host and I chose to deal with this particular caller in a light 
comedic fashion, which I might add ended with me quoting Rodney King and asking 
that we (bikers & drivers) just all get along and show each other a little bit 
of common sense and courtesy. It seems however that no one wishes to point that 
out in their effort to demonize Carmen and I. As someone who enjoys riding my 
bike and driving slow in the left lane (speed limits people!) I trust my 
audience to vent their frustration verbally rather than physically or I 
wouldn't admit it on the radio or be out on the street.
         
        So while I am not sure if this has ended up on some blog and that has 
caused many identical emails to find there way into my inbox, I find it 
troubling that people feel It is my obligation to hold a bike/car safety clinic 
during my show when they won't even take the time to call and offer the 
information they feel is so important.
         
        Finally, as I said before, "Steve" who called in after the caller in 
question, provided the same info people keep forwarding me over this issue. He 
did it in a humorous but informative way and made the point, I even took him 
first just so both sides had their say right away. This also seems to have 
escaped the notice of the folks who are upset by the caller's tongue in cheek 
opinion.
         
        Thanks,
         
        KC O'Dea
        Clear Channel Radio Raleigh
        www.wrdu.com <http://www.wrdu.com/> <http://www.wrdu.com/>  
        
        
        
________________________________

        From: Kim Benson [mailto:[email protected]]
        Sent: Sat 2/27/2010 7:40 AM
        To: o'dea, kc
        Subject: Hate crimes are message crimes. They are different from other 
crimes in that the offender is sending a message to members of a certain group 
that they are unwelcome." - Dr. Jack McDevitt, criminologist
        
        http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/wdcg.htm
        
        Take a minute to look at the results of other radio stations talking 
about
        hating cyclists.
        
        
        How would you feel if a 18 wheeler wanted to "mow you over for 2 
points" ?
        
        
        Kim
        
        In the future, please put stupidity in it's place. The comments on air
        affect many. Maybe the caller's children will grow up to be cyclists.
        
        
        
        




-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en.

Reply via email to