...

....as this dude gets older, he repeatedly discusses
the mental aspects a better workout.  Swimming and
running are focused on in this article but I am sure
cycling can be included.




Do you swim easily enough? <http://www.swimwellblog.com/archives/391>
by Terry Laughlin

Posted on April 9th, 2010
Do you swim easily enough?9.91012 In my 50s I’ve come increasingly to
appreciate the value of swimming easily, and using the practice of ease for
improvement. As I’ve focused more on combining ease and excellence I’ve
realized that few people know how to swim easily . . . *well*. This is most
likely because the “protestant work ethic” has been so strong in sports
generally and swimming in particular.  Virtually everyone who does swimming
as a sport, including triathletes, swim too hard, too often.
I first began to rethink what it meant to really swim easily in my early
50s. Amby Burfoot, executive editor of Runner’s World and a former Boston
Marathon champion, related to me that the great Kenyan marathoners would
warm up for workouts running at approximtely a 9-minute mile pace. For most
of us that’s pretty fleet. But since they can run 26.2 miles at a pace of
around 4:45 per mile it meant they were running at just over half their race
speed. I compared that with my own usual warmup pace in swimming.
In recent years my pace for a best-pace mile in a 25-yard pool (1650 yards)
has been about 1:16 to 1:17 per 100. If I warmed up for my practices like a
Kenyan runner I would be swimming at a pace of 2:15 to 2:20 per 100 yards.
Instead my initial warmup pace has usually been near, or under 1:30 per 100.
After learning about the Kenyans’ warmup pace from Amby I began to swim much
more easily and slowly for the first 6 to 10 minutes of every practice. It
resulted in achieving a much deeper state of relaxation at the beginning of
practice, which I found increased the sense of relaxation I could maintain
in nearly every practice item that followed, even the faster-paced sets.
The second key lesson I learned about the value of ease was from Jonty
Skinner, who was Director of Performance Science for USA Swimming, until
last year when British Swimming hired him for a similar position as they
gear up to host the Olympics. Jonty told me that most swimmers do their
aerobic training too hard. He said that a reasonably-well-conditioned
swimming (as distinguished from a former coach potato who just begins
swimming) achieves peak aerobic fitness within 8 to 10 weeks of beginning a
training cycle. Beyond that point, aerobic fitness doesn’t improve no matter
how much aerobic training you do.
After that point, Jonty said, the primary value of aerobic training is for
restoration or recovery. The training that has the most influence on how you
perform in a race is neurological – i.e. programming your nervous system to
maintain certain combinations of Stroke Length and Stroke Rate. Maintaining
a high level combination – long, efficient strokes, repeated at brisk tempos
– is metabolically demanding.
According to both Jonty and Mayo Clinic exercise physiologist Mike Joyner
M.D. to improve your pace in races or timed efforts, it’s critical to swim
at combinations of SL and SR that are near the limit of your current
capability. That’s not only exacting in a neural sense, it’s also difficult
physically. The critical contribution of aerobic training is to help you
recover from one quality session for the next. If you swim just a bit too
hard on an aerobic set, you won’t recover as well and will be too tired, or
lack sharpness for your next high-performance training set.
I followed Jonty’s advice in 2006, when I turned 55. I found myself swimming
a lot more easily on most sets than I had previously. But that meant I was
able to swim a LOT faster on certain sets where that was my intention. While
doing so it became clear to me that virtually everyone else at my Masters
group had a much narrower band of training speeds. They went too hard too
often to be able to perform very high quality at key times.
The benefits of easier swimming, so that I could swim faster at the right
times, were obvious when I swam the Zone and National Championship races
that far. My times were the fastest I had seen in some 12 years.
Mike Joyner recalled advice he gave to a near-elite runner whose
performances had been flat for several years. “Make your hard days harder
and your easy days easier.” After doing so, that runner progressed to the
elite level.

------------------------------
The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with
Hotmail. Get 
busy.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en.

Reply via email to