Well done. I am proud of all the things you didn't say and the example you set. Sounds to me like you "heaped burning ashes on his head".
Do you remember if it was the last house on the right before you pass over I-95? ________________________________ From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Goocey M.K. Joshua Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:04 AM To: [email protected] Subject: [COWs] Cyclist Hater on Bend of the River Rd Rode for 30 miles this morning. I took a right on Bend of the River from Old Bailey. I got about three miles down the rd, about a mile from the I-95 overpass, and I decided that I needed to adjust my seat. I stopped at the edge of a driveway, as I have done many a time when my bike needed a little adjustment. I saw some dogs penned up, and they were barking at me. As i pulled the allen wrench from my saddle pouch, a country fella came down the driveway in his sweatpants and t-shirt. I assumed he wanted to check and make sure I was ok. Country folks are usually so nice. NOT THIS ONE. The conversation went as follows, He said, "What the hell do you think yer doin? If my dogs wern't pinned up, you woulda uttracted 'em, and they'd a cum runnin after you. I lived here seven damn yers, and I ain't had no problems. But now you f...@in people keep cumin by on yer bikes. Damn, you dun stopped right here on my driveway. A couple weeks ago, five ur six of ye cam by here. They wur all dressed up like you, in yer damn get up. Sh*t, I ain't seen nuthin like it." I muttered, "I saw that your dogs were pinned up. I needed to check something on my bike. I'm sorry if I caused a problem." He ranted, "Hell yea you caused a problum. My damn dogs are barkin. If they hadn't been put up, they'd a cum runnin up to you, and you'd a called the pulice, and I'd be the one in trouble. What's yur name?" I replied, perhaps unfairly, "My name is Joshua Goocey, I'm the minister at First Christian Church on Tarboro St." He didn't let any more cuss words fly after that. He kinda took a step back, and muttered, "Well, I'm sorry about that, but you dang people can't come ridin by here." I apologized one more time, and told him I would get off his property. I spent the rest of the ride thinking about all the things I could have said. Goose Rev. Joshua M.K. Goocey Senior Minister First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) 207 Tarboro St. N. Wilson, NC 27896 [email protected] Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en.
