I wonder how many more of these I have in me. There is a time on
each one of these where I swear this is the last one. Sunday morning
about 25 of us leave out of Morrisville for Seagrove. They attack the
hills early and split the group. I’m left riding with 9 others whom
all climb better than I. It starts out ugly and stays ugly all day.
I fall behind going up then catch up going down. Sometimes I
breakaway going down and they reel me in going up. Great, flat tire
at mile 63. Changed in 5 minutes but more work running down the
crew. Headwinds going to Seagrove and finally at mile 85 the hills
get longer and I’m busted. Too much catch up work and no mustard. I
solo the rest of the ride. The first group of 5 start the return and
I never see them again. I do keep tabs on the second group of 5 as we
leap frog each other on the return. They leave me at mile 125 but
they stop at a store around mile 160 and I pass them back without even
knowing it. I’m at mile 180 and the sun is still up. I’m gonna
finish this puppy without lights! There is a new route this year to
the finish that is still under construction. I’m cruising feeling a
little better about things. Dang, I can’t find my next turn. Mile
190 (300K) the ride is over, only trouble is I’m in Apex NOT
Morrisville. Luckily I find hwy. 55 and I hope I’m heading the right
way. Now I have to put the lights on. I call Al the organizer just
to make sure I’m heading the right way. My riding group is at the
finish trying to figure out what happened to me as they knew I was
ahead of them. I end up with 196 miles. I was glad just to finish.
Two weeks we do it again but we ad the Uwharrie Mountains for a total
of 250 miles and 16,000 feet of climbs.
Ok, I was gonna change my format and write how much I enjoy these
rides. Here goes! We start out with 25 happy smiling faces.
Beautiful morning as we pedal off socializing a bit for the first few
miles. An awesome sunrise as we cross Lake Jordan. Some are taking
pictures and video. A nice long exhilarating climb leaving the lake.
Some miles later, front tire is going flat. Luckily I make it to the
next control and I’m happy to sharpen my tire changing skills. The
group leaves me there but I’m almost finished so I catch them a couple
miles later. Beautiful landscapes approaching Seagrove with some more
very exhilarating climbs. I slow down a bit as the group rides away
as I’m just taking it all in. My friend Ian and his fiancé make me
some delicious peanut butter and honey sandwiches in Seagrove while
the others chow down in Hardees. Ohh, homemade chocolate chip
cookies. Awesome. Don’t tell the others! I roll out between the 1st
and 2nd groups for some solitude. A few miles later the 15 or so
riders behind us start rolling by still on their way to Seagrove. We
wave as we’re all so happy! The second group is split up now as they
pass me heading back to Siler City. I meet up again with them there
as Joel is there with lots of food and beverages. More solo riding
for me and I plug in the ipod for a change. Some good tailwind
sections now that help get me down the road. Takes a little edge off
the hills. Sunny 70 degrees, doesn’t get much better than this.
Almost back now, hate to see it end, wish there was more. Suns still
up, so I think I’ll slide over to Apex for some bonus miles. Arrive
back at Al’s house a little after 8:00. Another spread. My favorite,
cold pizza, drinks, brew and a birthday cake. A couple of my pals
were there as we discussed the ride and other things. Feeling a
little tired I head for home pondering the next ride. Really!
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en.