Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
> That is strange if it's so much faster on your system.

I've checked again to be sure:

Compile 41 minutes, install 7 (32bit) / 4 (64bit) minutes, packaging 5
minutes.

> Fortunately I have loads of memory so it's not too much of an issue
> for me. Most of the time on 32-bit Cygwin is spent stripping the
> executables, which is _way_ slower than on 64-bit Cygwin, by a factor
> of probably 3-4.

What's the disk based on?  I've recently switched to NVMe and while it's
not doing wonders compared to the SATA-SSD I've had before it has helped
to shave some time off the builds, generally in the order of 10…25% (for
gcc that means about half an hour so that's very welcome even if it
doesn't sound much).  Running a VM probably means you're running on a
filesystem image rather than a dedicated disk and that probably means an
extra slowdown anyway.  NVMe would enable you to make that overhead go
away, but it needs to be supported through the whole hypervisor / VM
stack to be effective.

Regards,
Achim.