On 04/10/2022 08:55, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
There's a hook on the Cygwin Git infrastructure that is refusing to
accept updated tags for the git package.  There's no explanation of why
the push is being rejected, but this worked four weeks ago when I pushed
v2.37.3-1, and is failing now.
[...]
$ git push cygwin v2.38.0-1
     Enumerating objects: 10, done.
     Counting objects: 100% (10/10), done.
     Delta compression using up to 4 threads
     Compressing objects: 100% (8/8), done.
     Writing objects: 100% (8/8), 762 bytes | 381.00 KiB/s, done.
     Total 8 (delta 6), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
     remote: FATAL: W refs/tags/v2.38.0-1 git/cygwin-packages/git
Adam_Dinwoodie DENIED by fallthru
     remote: error: hook declined to update refs/tags/v2.38.0-1
     To cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git
      ! [remote rejected] v2.38.0-1 -> v2.38.0-1 (hook declined)
     error: failed to push some refs to 'cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git'

Is this a bug in the server side hooks, or have I missed some expected
change in behaviour here?  It's not a big deal -- I'm not using the

Thanks for reporting this.

A few weeks ago, I made a change to prevent pushes to branches which don't have a defined role in our scheme (i.e anything not 'master' or 'playground'), and accidentally prevented tags from being pushed as well.

I've adjusted the gitolite configuration so this should work again.

In passing, I notice that this repo doesn't have a master branch, only tags, as that has never been pushed to, which may or may not be what you intended.