On 2023-02-13 16:05, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
Several of my packages that used to build fine with parallel make now require 'make -j1'.  Without this I either get strange errors or a hang. I can't find any pattern to explain when the problem occurs and when it doesn't, but it seems to be due to a change in make, starting with version 4.4.  By default, make now uses a FIFO rather than a pipe in its jobserver implementation.  You can override this with the make flag
   --jobserver-style=pipe
In all cases where I've tried this, parallel make works again.
It wouldn't surprise me if there's a bug in Cygwin's FIFO implementation that's responsible for this, but I haven't yet tried to track it down.

There is some glibc? compatibility issue also with this recommended workaround.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis                 Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte                      Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter     not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer        but when there is no more to cut
                        -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry