On 12/10/2023 14:42, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
On 2023-10-11 16:47, Yasuhiro Kimura via Cygwin wrote:
From: "Hendrickson, Eric D via Cygwin" <cyg...@cygwin.com>
Subject: Ruby EOL in Cygwin 3.4.9?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:37:29 +0000

Hello all,

As a ~25 year user and sometime contributor to Cygwin, I support Cygwin here at my place of work.  Does anyone know why we are deploying Ruby 2.6 which EOL about 18 months ago?

https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/branches/

I'm concerned about proliferation of EOL versions of Ruby in case some security risk / 0Day is identified.

[...]

Current Cygwin ruby was updated to current upstream 3.2.2 six months ago; see:

     https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/ruby-src.html

Checking the upstream link, preview RCs of 3.3 are available but no final release yet.

So it is up to you to update to the latest stable releases available on Cygwin, and whether any package gets updated may be influenced by what other packages you use which depend on earlier versions of basic language or runtime packages, although I am not seeing any such holdbacks.

I suspect this is the cause here.

Fujimura-san has done a lot of hard work recently to bring our ruby packages up to date, but there remain a handful of packages remaining (see [1]) which still need attention (either updating, or possibly removing).

If you're installing one of those (or simply installing everything), then setup will decide that you need an older ruby runtime to allow those to be installed.

[1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/ruby_rebuilds.html

If you are seeing such behaviour, you can check /var/log/setup.log.full to see the decisions made by the solver to upgrade packages.