On 12/14/2023 4:22 AM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
Hi Ken,

it seems that both

    texlive-collection-latex
    texlive-collection-latexextra

depend on

   texlive-collection-latexrecommended

that seems to me contra intuitive. can you please check ?

Hi Marco,

Do you have an example of a LaTeX file that uses packages only in texlive-collection-latex but fails to compile if texlive-collection-latexrecommended is not installed? Without this, it's very hard for me to check if the occurrences of "pdftexcmds.sty" that you found really indicate dependencies. My technical knowledge of LaTeX is not good enough to determine this just from looking at the .sty files. See below for further comments on a few of the occurrences.

$ cd /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex

$ grep -rH pdftexcmds.sty .
./generic/catchfile/catchfile.sty:  \input pdftexcmds.sty\relax

The previous line contains "IfFileExists", but I can't parse that line well enough to know if it prevents a problem.

./generic/filemod/filemod-expmin.tex:   \input pdftexcmds.sty
./generic/oberdiek/iflang.sty:  \input pdftexcmds.sty\relax

This is wrapped in an \if...\else that I can't parse.

./generic/stringenc/stringenc.sty:  \input pdftexcmds.sty\relax

The previous line contains "IfFileExists".

./latex/hardwrap/hardwrap.sty:\IfFileExists{pdftexcmds.sty}{%

Doesn't "IfFileExists" prevent a problem in this case?

./latex/nlctdoc/nlctuserguide.sty:    % copied from pdftexcmds.sty

"pdftexcmds.sty" occurs only in a comment.

Ken