On 2024-01-06 14:16, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 06/01/2024 20:10, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
Updating gsasl to 2.2.1 local package build runs fine, but github scallywag now fails in two places:

- cygport src_prep src_patch_apply_hook now fails to find patch file passed as $1:

I've looked at the cygport, but what you're doing here is very confusing.

Even with the poor state of the documentation for that hook [1], the fact that this hook doesn't take any care over the result it returns is a red flag.

[1] https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/src_prep_cygpart.html#src_patch_apply_hook

(So it seems like maybe it should 'patch || error', and then return 0)

It seems like this cygport is written making some assumption about the current directory when this hook is run, that it's the top-level directory containing the patch files.

I could understand that's maybe been accidentally changed from a previous version with some other change to cygport, but I don't quite understand how that can be true locally.

However, it's certainly not guaranteed, because this hook was not designed for you to do your own patch application like this in.

All that said: If you write '${top}/$1' it works for me, but you absolutely shouldn't be relying on undocumented cygport internals like that...

Thanks Jon,

The issues with using these hooks is a given!

I will try that path in the cygport hook, locally and in scallywag.

Is there some other way in which I could structure the patch to apply to the out of tree installed gtk-doc makefiles prior to the build without using the hook?

The issue with gtk-doc failing this build was discussed when found, in -apps 2022-09-29/30, and applying the patch to its makefiles seemed to be the best way to handle it at the time.

I submitted gsasl and gtk-doc patches upstream at the time but had more check FAILs than PASSes after updating gtk-doc.

```
patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.flat.make gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No such file or directory patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.make gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No such file or directory patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.no-xslt-flat.make gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No such file or directory patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.no-xslt.make gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No such file or directory *** Warning: patch gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch skipped by src_patch_apply_hook
 >>> Preparing working source directory
```

- autoconf2.7 is not found, although it is in cygport dependencies, installed in step 4 cygwin install action, with 42 dependencies expanded to 232 install tasks, and package BUILD_REQUIRES, with 29 dependencies expanded to 259 install tasks, excluding autoconf, but build fails:
```
 >>> Compiling gsasl-2.2.1-1.x86_64
*** ERROR: autoconf2.7 is required to build this package
```

This seems to be some breakage from today's update to autoconf 2.72.

Top Men, working on, etc.

Thanks, I just noticed the release and wrapper update announcements.

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry