Hello,

I'm attempted to start X windows on a WinXP machine with cygwin installed. My goal is to use xterm and telnet to a remote AIX machine. I'm attempting this because I need a more robust terminal then the standard 25x80 text-based emulations. However, the command "xterm" and "xterm -display localhost:0" report the error:

xterm Xt error: Can't open display ""

I assumed this is because the X server is not running so I attempt "startx" and get this error:

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.7.0.0-8

Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

XWin was started with the following command line:

X :0 -multiwindow -clipboard

Fatal server error: Cannot open log file "/tmp/XWin.log"

winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

How can I correct this? Or if this is not a feasible plan, what other methods could you recommend to achieve the same goal.

Much thanks in advance,
Swade